Existing domain names can be transferred between providers in most cases without interruption to service.
Transferring a domain name to us
To transfer a domain name to us without interruption to service, please follow this procedure carefully.
Under normal circumstances, the process normally takes 3-5 working days, but can take much longer if there are delays caused by incorrect information, issues with your current provider, or if you have a large amount of website or e-mail data to migrate as well.
- Do not cancel your service with your current provider until we notify you it is safe to do so. You will need to continue to make any payments due under the contract to your current provider until this process is complete.
- Contact us with the details of the domain name you would like to transfer in to us. If you have an existing website or e-mail addresses at this domain, please provide full details at this time.
- We will check details of the domain name and send you confirmation of our charges and other important information.
- Review the information we send you and confirm it is correct, including confirmation that you agree to be bound by our general terms and conditions of trade and domain names terms and conditions.
- Provide us with the complete current DNS settings for your domain or authorisation to allow us to acquire those from your current provider. If you have a website to transfer across as well, we will need your (or your web developer’s) assistance to take a complete copy of the existing site and any associated data using FTP or any other reasonable method offered by your current provider.
- We will set up our systems so we are ready to accept your transfer, and we will notify you when we reach this stage.
- When we confirm we are ready to accept the transfer, contact your current provider and tell them you would like to transfer your domain away to another provider:
- For .uk domains, ask your provider to change the IPS tag to “NETPRESENCE”.
- For all other domains, ask your provider to remove any domain lock features and generate an authorisation code. They will provide this code to you to give to us.
- When your domain transfer is complete, we will notify you so you can cease service with your current provider.
Transferring a domain name away from us
To transfer a domain name away from us, please follow this procedure. Under normal circumstances, the process normally takes 3-5 working days, but can take longer if there are delays caused by incorrect information, or issues with your new provider accepting the transfer.
Please note that we cannot guarantee there will be no interruption to service if you transfer a domain name away from us, since we lose control over the domain name when the transfer happens.
In order to minimise the chance of interruption to your service, this process should be undertaken at least 14 days prior to the expiry or renewal date of your domain hosting service with us.
- Identify the provider you would like to transfer your domain name to.
- Contact us with the details of the domain name you would like to transfer away, with your reasons for doing so. We aim to retain your custom if possible by providing the services you want, so please let us know if we are not offering something you need. In the unlikely event you have a dispute or complaint about how we have handled your domain name registration or renewal, please see our complaints procedure.
- When your new provider confirms they are ready to accept the transfer:
- For .uk domains, obtain your new provider’s IPS Tag and give this to us. We will then change the tag on your domain which can take up to 5 working days.
- For all other domains, let us know your new provider is ready, and we will generate a transfer authorisation code. You will need to give this to your new provider for them to complete the transfer process.
- 7 days after you transfer your domain away from us we will cease services that were associated with it.
When you give us the IPS Tag of your new provider, we will change the tag on your domain to this new value as soon as possible unless you instruct us otherwise. You should ensure that your new provider is ready to receive the transfer before we do this.
For domains where we issue you with a transfer authorisation code, your new provider is responsible for completing the transfer after you give them the code. If they do not complete the transfer, your domain will remain with us, and you will continue to be billed for service until they complete the transfer process.
Once your domain has transferred away, we will disable or cease any services associated with it after 7 days. This may including irrevocably deleting any email, website content or other data stored on our systems as part of the service contract you had with us. We will not keep backups of this data and will not be able to assist in its recovery, so you should ensure you have your own copy and adequate backups before starting the transfer out process.